9.13.2012

Thought Life

'Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD my Rock and my Redeemer.'
- Psalm 19:14

On the camping trip I went on last week, the father of one of the families led us in a Bible study every night.  We went through the book of James.

Out of all those evenings, sitting around the campfire, listening to him reading and then all of us giving our little tidbits on what we gathered from that chapter...I came away from that trip with a new outlook on life.  Something that he read really made me think.  It was just a little verse, a small phrase.  But nonetheless, when we were talking about it and how we were digging around it, just really made me think and ponder on it...

‘...being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.’

From that one verse (chapter 1, verse 8), we went off on little rabbit trails...and one of the things that Mr. B. pointed out was our thought life.

Three things in our bodies never cease working (unless we’re dead). 
- breathing
- heart beating
- and thinking

While our breathing and heart beats are measured and held by God, our thoughts are of our own doing.  Being ‘double-minded’, as James says, means that we may think one way, but act completely different.  That others may think our thoughts and hearts are this way, but they’re actually like this and this.

This made me stop and ask myself, What consumes my thought life?  What are some things that I think about daily that really shouldn’t be in my head and heart?

I stood convicted.

My thought life wasn’t all pure and beautiful, the way it should be as God’s daughter.  I saw myself, almost as if I was another individual looking into my own thoughts and heart.  And what I saw, I was ashamed of. 

Sometimes we can get so caught up in just living, that we don’t even consider what our brains are thinking of.  You can be thinking of sports while washing dishes.  Or thinking of love while mucking out a stall.  Music, while folding laundry.  But let us remember to keep a fervent look and hold onto God’s Word and His promises.  We should be able to say exactly what we are thinking and not be afraid of what may come out of our mouths.  That anything that does proceed from our lips, would only be God-glorifying.  And manifesting His Name.

One of the ways I have been training myself to keep more focused on him is...whenever I catch myself thinking of something ungodly, impure, and just plain wrong, I immediately say a prayer and then start reciting verses - out loud.  It has helped me SO much the past few days.  I would encourage you to try this too.  And may God bless your efforts.

What fills up your thought life the most?  What do you constantly find yourself thinking about?  Is it worldly goods and treasures...or God’s redemptive power and love? 

...

‘Create in me a clean heart, O God.  And renew a right spirit within me.’
{Psalm 51:10}


...

'Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.'
{Philippians 4:8}

... 

11 comments:

  1. Thank you Miss Raquel! Thank you so much for this post. I have been struggling with my though life recently so this was very encouraging for me to hear.

    Love n Smiles,
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful and thought provoking post, Raquel! It's just what I needed this morning. I've been thinking along this line but I couldn't really verbalize what I was feeling. You did that for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO encourgaing! I've been thinking and praying about all this also lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Raquel, this is really true and convicting right now. You have this knack for posting the right thing at the right time, haha!

    Love you girl!
    xox,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very encouraging. It's great to be reminded to keep our thoughts pure. I think everybody has struggled with this at one time or another. So thanks for putting out a Godly reminder to seek purity in all things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post, Raquel. :))

    http://eternal-simplicity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post.
    My life verse is Philipians 4:8.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a huge blessing to me today ♥ I have the craziest brain, and I will admit, that I don't always think about the stuff that God wants me to. I have struggled with this for so long, and you are the first blogger that I have seen post about it. It's great to know that there are girls out there who struggle with this, just like I do, and I have such a hard time with it.
    But this was a wonderful idea, and I might just have to try it sometime :)

    ~Molly~
    mollyslittlecorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thought provoking and sobering. I think we all can stand condemned on our thought life. =/

    ReplyDelete
  10. The book of James is awesome!!! I love it so much. :)

    Love,
    Manda
    http://meandjesus-amanda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Thank you for your comment! ♥